Auteursarchief: bjorn.janssens

Een stage lopen in FIS global

 

This year I have the opportunity to do my internship in FIS Global. The building I’m doing my internship is situated in Diegem de Kleetlaan 6A. It used to be called clear2pay but was then  taken over by an American CEO and thus became known as FIS Belgium. This international company exists in different entities and is spread virtually around the globe. The main specialty of FIS is developing banking software on a grand scale for the banking sector. Evidently 80% of its employees are composed of IT specialists. I work with the remaining 20% (HR, finance, reception,..).

My tasks are mainly at the reception. As there is a shortage of employees for the reception, my internship came as most opportune. This might seem like a simple position to take, but the tasks of a receptionist are vast and seemingly never ending. Working at the reception gives me the opportunity to work on matters such as:

  • picking up the phone
    arranging meetings
    sending emails
    placing orders
    sorting the mail
    providing visitors with guidance and a visor badges if necessary

Sometimes I also get some work from the HR sector like updating the databases and filling out insurance files. I won’t go into much detail about my HR tasks since we are expected to follow a strict privacy policy.

The good thing about this internship is that I get the opportunity to work on my strong points (which I believe are languages and communication) and my negative point (which is organizing). I highly doubt I’ll completely overcome my negative point, but I do believe FIS is pointing me in the right direction. But the thing I’m most pleased about is how I got to know myself during these 3 weeks. Especially working at the reception and observing gave me some much needed perspective, not only on the work environment but also life in general. Well when I say perspective I don’t necessarily mean clarity, quite the opposite actually. I started to ask myself some questions. Is working in this position really what I want out of life? Or do I want something I don’t know, let’s say more fulfilling? Something more suited for my particular talents perhaps?

I’ll be precise and say that there is nothing wrong with being a receptionist or working at HR. Sometimes it is hard to admit you’re not made for something but I’m nevertheless very thankful for my internship, as it is through great internal struggle that we are able to learn and grow as an individual.

 

 

Een stage lopen hier op school

In het kader van de opleiding Office Management heb ik de gelegenheid gekregen om als eerste jaarsstudent een stage van 3 weken te lopen. Mijn stageplaats was op mijn school. 20160308-studielandschap

Dag 1 begon om 9 uur, er werden afspraken gemaakt i.v.m. de uren en gereflecteerd over toekomstige taken. Ik kon al meteen aan de slag met de taken die ik gekregen had van mijn stagementoren. Als opdracht moest ik opzoekingswerk doen en de gevonden informatie gestructureerd verwerken. Ik heb met programma’s als Word en Excel gewerkt. Zelf ben ik niet heel sterk met die programma’s, maar het vormde geen hindernis voor mij. Het verrichten van mijn taken verliep haast vlekkeloos. Wat ik moest gebruiken in Excel heb ik opgezocht en het mezelf aangeleerd. Vanaf de tweede week tot het einde van mijn stage mocht ik helpen aan de balie van het studielandschap. De periode aan de balie vond ik fantastisch. Ik heb ook meegeholpen aan de openlesdag en een rondleiding gegeven. Terwijl ik werkte aan de balie kreeg ik een vertalingsopdracht waaraan ik moest werken tot het einde van mijn stage.

Tijdens die korte periode heb ik zeker kunnen werken aan de skills die nodig zijn voor een Office Manager, en dat is meer dat ik had kunnen hopen van een stage van 3weken.